Waste that requires special management practices because of their high-generation volume and the waste's potential to be associated with hazardous waste.
- Used Fluorescent Lamps
- Non-leaking Batteries
- Used Pesticides
- Mercury Thermostats
- PCB-containing lamp ballasts
All Universal Waste is managed and disposed of through ESSR. Universal Waste Training
is available online. Contact the Environmental Affairs section for assistance or guidance. (5-3990)
|Used Fluorescent Lamps
- All used fluorescent lamps must be enclosed in a cardboard box. Each container must be taped closed to prevent breakage and spillage.
- Used lamps are stored in the locked "Universal Waste" trailer at Environmental Services Facility (Building 344). The drop off times are Tuesday 9-11 a.m. and Wednesday 1-3 p.m. 003.
- Do NOT leave lamps or boxes outside the trailer; all lamps must be stored in the trailer.
- If you observe broken lamps within the trailer, call ESSR at extension (301) 405-3990 for clean-up.
- Empty boxes for used fluorescent lamps are available in the "Empty Containers" storage trailer, located in the FM compound.
- Each container of used fluorescent lamps must be labeled and visible with the following: Used Lamps
Accumulation Start Date: _____________
Building #: __________________
Number of Bulbs in container: __________________
- Copies of above container label information may be downloaded at https://essr.umd.edu.
- University personnel who handle/manage Universal Waste must be trained. Training is available online at https://essr.umd.edu or request classroom training by calling 53990.
|Batteries, Used Pesticides, Mercury Thermostats, PCB-containing Lamp Ballasts
- These waste items will be managed as Chemical Waste.
- Please reference the Chemical Waste Disposal Guidelines for packaging and disposal.
Assistance ESSR (301) 405-3990
Customer Response Center (301) 405-2222