You are here
Respiratory Protection Factsheet
Under OSHA's general requirements for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), the University shall perform a hazard assessment of the work site. This hazard assessment is to determine if PPE is necessary; select the appropriate protective equipment; train employees to use it properly; and ensure that they wear it.
Applicable University Policy
UMD Personal Protective Equipment Program
- 29 CFR 1910.132 - General Requirements
- 29 CFR 1910.133 - Eye and Face Protection
- 29 CFR 1910.134 - Respiratory Protection
- 29 CFR 1910.135 - Head Protection
- 29 CFR 1910.136 - Foot Protection
- 29 CFR 1910.137 - Electrical Protective Equipment
- 29 CFR 1910.138 - Hand Protection
- 29 CFR 1910 - Subpart 1 Appendix B - Compliance Guidelines for Hazard Assessment and Personal Protective Equipment Selection
- 29 CFR 1910.1450 - Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories
Summary of Requirements
- Protective equipment, including personal protective equipment for eyes, face, head and extremities, protective clothing, respiratory devices, and protective shields and barriers, shall be provided, used, and maintained in a sanitary and reliable condition wherever it is necessary by reason of hazards of processes or environment, chemical hazards, radiological hazards, or mechanical irritants encountered in a manner capable of causing injury or impairment in the function of any part of the body through absorption, inhalation or physical contact.
- Employee-owned equipment. Where employees provide their own protective equipment, the employer shall be responsible to assure its adequacy, including proper maintenance, and sanitation of such equipment.
- Design. All personal protective equipment shall be of safe design and construction for the work to be performed.
- Hazard assessment. The employer shall assess the workplace to determine if hazards are present, or likely to be present, which necessitate the use of personal protective equipment.
- The employer shall provide training to each employee who is required by this section to use PPE. Each such employee shall be trained to know at least the following:
- when PPE is necessary;
- what PPE is necessary;
- how to properly put on, take off, adjust, and wear PPE;
- the limitations of the PPE; and
- the proper care, maintenance, useful life and disposal of PPE.
The employer shall verify:
- that the required workplace hazard assessment has been performed through a written certification that identifies the workplace evaluated;
- that a person has certified that the evaluation has been performed;
- that the hazard assessment has been signed and dated identifies the document as a certification of hazard assessment.
PPE should be inspected, cleaned, and maintained at regular intervals so that the PPE provides the requisite protection.
The Hazard Assessment forms must be signed by the supervisor to certify that this process has been performed as required by the regulation. The forms must be maintained with the departmental records.
The employer must develop and implement provision of a written PPE Program.
Department of Environmental Safety, Sustainability and Risk (301) 405-3960
ESSR Fax No. (301) 314-9294
ESSR Website: https://www.essr.umd.edu