Skip to main content
You are here
State Property Loss or Damage
Procedure for Insurance Recovery of Loss or Damages to Property
- Notify the Department of Environmental Safety, Insurance Services at (301) 405-3961, immediately or within 24 hours following discovery of damages or loss. Use the University of Maryland Property Loss Claim Form to assist your reporting of loss or damage
- Upon approval by the State Insurance Division, the affected UMD department/unit must pay the certified claim and then seek reimbursement from the State within 60 days of the authorization. Claims older than 60 days will not be reimbursed.
- For repair or replacement of damaged property, departments may issue Purchase Orders for damages more than $5,000. If the damage is under $5,000 the VISA Purchasing Card may be used.
- When repairs or replacements are considered acceptable by the receiving UMD department/unit and an Invoice has been received, the UMD department/unit shall approve the Invoice.
- A copy of the "Paid" Invoice should be sent to the Department of Environmental Safety, Sustainability and Risk, Seneca Building #812, 4716 Pontiac Street, Suite 0103, ATTN: Insurance.
- If the VISA Purchasing Card has been used, a copy of the VISA statement with the charge circled should be sent to the Department of Environmental Safety, Seneca Building #812, 4716 Pontiac Street, Suite 0103, ATTN: Insurance.
- Following receipt of the Invoice by the Department of Environmental Safety, proof of payment will be sent to the State Treasurer's Office.
- After the State Treasurer's Office processes the reimbursement and it appears in the Insurance Clearing Account, the Department of Environmental Safety, Sustainability and Risk will reimburse the recovery to the UMD department/unit seeking reimbursement, via a Journal Voucher.
- For claims more than $1,000 the Department of Environmental Safety, Sustainability and Risk will charge each claim the state-required $1,000 deductible. A $150 processing fee prior to claim processing will also be charged.