You are here
Camps & Programs Procedures & Information
Registering Your Program/Authorization Numbers
- All Directors/Coaches of Camps or Youth Programs are required to register their program with the Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) through the Office of Risk Management in order to initiate the Fingerprint and Federal Criminal Background Check process required of all employees or volunteers working with minors. Contact Jennifer Rous at email@example.com or x53979 if your program does not already have an Authorization Number for your program or if you cannot remember your Authorization Number.
- A Criminal Background Check report must be received by the Office of Risk Management at least 2 weeks before an employee or volunteer may begin working the camp. At the University of Maryland, the fingerprint/background check is active for 3 consecutive years before a new background check is required.
- As the FBI will now only accept fingerprint submissions that are electronically or digitally captured, the most easily and readily accessible location to the University for getting the fingerprinting completed is at the UMD Department of Public Safety (DPS) located in the Pocomoke Bldg. (old Fire House) on Route 1. The approved form for capturing this information is the LiveScan Applicant Fingerprinting Form that may be downloaded and partially completed prior to arriving at DPS to get your fingerprinting completed. A LiveScan Template can be found here to assist in filling out the form. Most importantly, a copy of the completed LiveScan form must be sent to the Office of Risk Management to be on file with the completed background check record when it is received. These records are audited by CJIS and by UMD Internal Audit.
DPS Fingerprinting Hours of Operation
- DPS Fingerprinting Services are only available Monday thru Thursday from 3:00pm – 6:30pm. DPS will accept major credit cards, checks, and money orders and cash in the form of exact change only. Internal KFS account numbers are also accepted.
- There is both a cost for the fingerprint process and the State and FBI Criminal Background Check. At UMD-DPS the combined cost is $55.00
Out of State Background Checks
- For those getting fingerprinted outside the State of Maryland, a Purple Card and Blue Card must be used in place of the LiveScan form. CJIS requires that those getting fingerprinting done outside of Maryland submit "inked" prints only to CJIS. A check made out to CJIS for $32.75 must be included in the envelope with the inked Purple and Blue Cards and sent to the address listed on the card.(CJIS, P.O. BOX 32708, PIKESVILLE, MD 21282-2708). Do not send inked cards to the Office of Risk Management. [see Purple and Blue Card Templates and Directions]
Purple and Blue Cards may be requested in bulk from the Office of Risk Management. A Purple Card and a Blue Card is attached to assist in filling out the card. Out-of-State background checks take much longer to process and therefore should be done well in advance of the start of the camp they are intending to work.
- If an employee or volunteer was previously screened for a child care background check at another agency (school or day care) the agency affiliation can be transferred to the University of Maryland via the 365 Day Request Form only if the original date of fingerprinting is less than 365 days old. Any request made to CJIS to transfer the agency of record that is older than 365 days will be rejected and the employee will be required to undergo an entirely new background check for the University. The new background check includes being fingerprinted.
- Each registered camp/program must submit a roster of all employees or volunteers who will be working with minors.
- Fill out the Camps Template to electronically submit your roster to the Office of Risk Management.