You are here
Under certain circumstances, employers are required to ensure access to persons trained in emergency medical services. However, employers may chose to offer it voluntarily to their employees.
Applicable University Policy
- X-7.00(A) - UMD Policy Concerning Fire Emergencies
- University of Maryland Standards for Scientific Diving Certification and Operation of Scientific Diving Programs Manual
- 29 CFR 1910.151- Medical and First Aid
- 29 CFR 1910.269 -Special Industries (High Voltage Electricity)
- 29 CFR 1910.401 Subpart T - Commercial Diving Operations (exemption)
Summary of Requirements
Employers are required to provide first aid and/or cardiopulmonary resuscitations services under the following circumstances:
- When employees are performing work on, or associated with, exposed lines or equipment energized at 50 volts or more;
- When injured employees are not in near proximity to an infirmary, clinic, or hospital. (The response of University of Maryland Police and Prince George's County Fire Department, and the proximity of the University Health Center meet this requirement).
- When employees or volunteers are conducting research using self-contained underwater breathing apparatuses (SCUBA) under the auspices of the University of Maryland.
Where the eyes or body of any person may be exposed to injurious corrosive materials, suitable facilities for quick drenching or flushing of the eyes and body must be provided within the work area for immediate emergency use.
The employer shall provide ready availability of medical personnel for advice and consultation on matters of overall employee health.
Approved first aid supplies must be readily available.
First Aid and/or Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR). Training is available through:
- American Red Cross (First Aid) (301) 559-7240
- Campus Recreation Center (CPR & Basic First Aid) x64400
- ESSR Diving Safety Officer (for Divers) (301) 405-3982
- University of Maryland Police (CPR) (301) 405-3555
- Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute (EMT) (301) 220-7240
Department of Environmental Safety, Sustainability and Risk (301) 405-3960
ESSR Fax No. (301) 314-9294
ESSR Website: https://essr.umd.edu